Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Into Umbria

After 3 days in Rome,I took the train out into the countryside of Umbria and rented a car. From there I spent 4 days roaming the hilltop villages. Umbria is very much like Tuscany...a bit less sophisticated and polished,definitely un-touristy, and just as beautiful. I stayed in 2 wonderful agritourismos,which are working farms that have converted the house into B & B rooms,often with small restaurants in them.It's the only way to go!
Umbria: chalky soil,great for grapes!

View from my agritourismo bedroom window

Bucolic setting

My view at breakfast

House dating from the 1800s


rough life

Double rainbow

Add caption

Every evening this was the scene.....


My periwinkle car!!!

late season grapes

Neighboring village!!!

and the next..... 
cypress lined lanes typical of Umbria and Tuscany

olive trees,my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment